Saturday, November 28, 2015

Canadian Farming - the INTERESTING big picture

So this week is Agribition in Regina Saskatchewan. A time for those who make their living off the land to gather in a BIG way. It is truly an international event with hundreds coming from countries around the world to learn new techniques, or to sell their products, or just make new contacts. Farming is a VERY BIG business these days, and certainly requires a healthy bank account. For more about Agribition

Having been raised on a Saskatchewan farm - a day or two ago haha - I found these facts most interesting and I suspect you will too. The source is "The Real DIRT on Farming" Saskatchewan Digest Edition. I picked up their magazine at a Co-op Grocery Store. But of course they also have a website

So here's the facts that I wanted to share with you.

One hundred years ago ... over half of Canada's population farmed. Today less that 2% of Canadians are farmers.

In 1931, one in three Canadians lived on a farm.
Today, it's only one in 50.

There's no such thing as a "typical" Canadian farm.

In 1900, one farmer produced enough food for 10 people.
50 cents of every dollar Canadians earned was spent on food.
Today, that same farmer can feed well over 120 people.
And we spend just over 10 cents of every dollar on food.

Less than 2% of Canadians feed the other 98 per cent as well as helping to feed people right around the world.

Farming is different in each province.
Saskatchewan has almost 37,000 farms with grain, oilseed and beef being the most popular types.

PEI has about 1,500 farms that are mostly dairy, fruits, vegetables (like potatoes) and plants.

Quebec's almost 30,000 farms lead the country in dairy and pork production.

Saskatchewan: the average age of a farmer is 54. More than 70% are men. The average farm size in Sask. is 1,668 acres which is more than DOUBLE the Canadian average. Pat's note: the original Prairie homesteader got 160 acres.

Just under half of Canada's farmers also have a job off the farm to earn additional income. More than 50% of all farmers has some form on post-secondary education.

So now you know.

There is a lot more information on the website for anyone interested. I guess we should all be interested in where our food comes from? I'm still love my little vegetable garden and still 'put up' food for the winter. Another one of those habits that die hard perhaps?


No comments:

Post a Comment