Wednesday, May 16, 2012

English Equivalent of Foreign Given Names

Many of you have heard me speak about name variants - where one given (first) name may have other interchangeable names ... like Elizabeth who can also be known as Liz, Eliza, Beth, Liza, Elly, Betty and so on. Every nationality has their own 'variants'. This is something that is worth studying. I know from experience with some of my Irish/Scottish ancestors as my not-knowing cost me two years of wasted time, and effort, not to mention FRUSTRATION!! And this is within the realms of the English language.

And then there are names that translate into a 'different' name in another language. I just discovered this web site that may be useful to you. Have a peek at http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~scoconee/names.html

You cannot find them if you do not know what name you should be looking for.



Happy Searching,
Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment